[Renewable] new book on distributed/renewable energy

Rasa Smite rasa at rixc.lv
Thu Nov 11 12:47:55 EET 2010

Hello,

just found out from info on p2p-list
that there is new book out: Sparking A Worldwide
Energy Revolution]]. Ed. by Kolya Abramsky. AK
Press, 2010
URL =
<http://www.akpress.org/2009/items/sparkingaworldwideenergyrevolution>http://www.akpress.org/2009/items/sparkingaworldwideenergyrevolution

may be someone is interested in this -

best,
Rasa

--------->FW:

---------> From:
<http://www.akpress.org/2009/items/sparkingaworldwideenergyrevolution>http://www.akpress.org/2009/items/sparkingaworldwideenergyrevolution

"A vital anthology for anyone who wants to
understand both the roots of the energy crisis,
and the flourishing radical resistance that
offers a sustainable future beyond
capitalism."-Raj Patel, author of Stuffed and
Starved

"Gas flaring in Nigeria, wind farms in
Schleswig-Holstein, mountain top removal in
Appalachia, tar sands in Alberta, geothermal
energy in Iceland, the toxic cycle of uranium,
the slaughter in the coal-mines of China, the
transgenic soya monocultures, the 'caliph' of oil
in Iraq, jatropha production in Tanzania,
exploration in the Tehuantepec winds: every power
under the sun is here except horse-power, and
everywhere on earth-China, Europe, North America,
the Mideast, Africa, India, and Latin America.
Kolya Abramsky has composed, a symphonic
compendium of five sections, fourteen parts,
sixty chapters by forty-six individual authors
and eighteen organizational authors in nearly
seven hundred pages all arranged with
intelligence and point. There are no
technofixes.Ê Neither 'clean' energy nor 'green'
capitalism will preserve our lands, rivers,
oceans, health, and lives.Ê Neither governments
nor corporations nor 'the market' can bring us
out of the nether world they themselves have
created. Mother Earth calls to the grass-roots
for entirely new social relations, human and less
hellish.Ê This sober and serious book heeds that
call."-Peter Linebaugh, author of The Magna Carta
Manifesto: Liberties and Commons for All

"Sparking A Worldwide Energy Revolution" is a
major contribution to the movement working for a
transition from carbon capitalism to an
ecologically sound energy system. Its sixty
chapters document the present energy crisis,
describe alternative technologies, and introduces
us to the people who worldwide are fighting for a
healthy planet and the recreation of the earth's
commons.Ê Rich in detail and written by activists
and scholars who have taken part in the
struggles, Sparking is an indispensable volume
for the just energy transition movement. It will
be referred to for years to come."-Sylvia
Federici, author of Caliban and the Witch

As the world's energy system faces a period of
unprecedented change, a global struggle over who
controls the sector?and for what purposes?is
intensifying. The question of "green capitalism"
is now unavoidable, for capitalist planners and
anti-capitalist struggles alike. From all sides
we hear that it's time to save the planet in
order to save the economy, but in reality what
lies before us is the next round of global class
struggle with energy at the center, as the key
means of production and subsistence.

There are no easy answers in this battle for
control of the world's energy system. Sparking A
Worldwide Energy Revolution is not a book of
sound bites. It unpacks the seemingly innocent
terms "energy sector" and "energy system" by
situating the current energy crisis, peak oil,
and the transition to a post-petrol future within
a historical understanding of the global, social,
economic, political, financial, military, and
ecological relations of which energy and
technology are parts. The authors probe the
systemic relationships between energy production
and consumption and the worldwide division of
labor on which capitalism itself is based?its
conflicts and hierarchies, its crisis and class
struggles.

With over fifty chapters written by contributors
from approximately twenty countries, Sparking A
Worldwide Energy Revolution forms a collective
map of the most dynamic struggles within the
energy sector.

Kolya Abramsky is a former visiting fellow at the
Institute of Advanced Studies in Science,
Technology and Society, in Graz, Austria, where
he received the Manfred-Heindler Award for Energy
and Climate Change Research, and in 2006 was
coordinator of the Danish-based World Wind Energy
Institute, an international effort in
non-commercial renewable energy education,
involving different renewable energy centers from
around the world.