[Renewable] Aalto Biofilia / Melliferopolis Workshop - Understanding the Essence of Flowers - Exploring Pollen 12-14th June, 2013, Helsinki

Taipale Ulla ulla.taipale at aalto.fi
Mon Apr 22 17:27:48 EEST 2013

Call for Participation
Melliferopolis Workshop:
Understanding the Essence of Flowers - Exploring Pollen
June 12th to 14th 2013, from 09:00 to 17:00
(more detailed program will be published later)
Harakka Island, Helsinki, Finland

There is an intrinsic link between bees and flowers. In evolution they arose at the same time, bees feeding on nectar and pollen; the flowers relying on the pollinators for reproduction. Bees visiting flowers and harvesting their essence is a choreography that nature performs each year. In these encounters, the flowers disclose their secret to the bees, who take it home in the form of scent and taste.

In this three-day workshop, we explore the environment of the Melliferopolis bees living on Harakka Island, in front of Helsinki, Finland.
First, we concentrate on the scientific aspects of the bees' surrounding in the chemistry laboratory built on the island in 1929 for military purposes.

In a second part, we focus on the poetic aspects of plants and pollinators, their relation and communication with each other. Inspired by these dynamics, we engage with the visual aspects of pollen, inviting drawing, painting and collage to reveal stories and metaphores behind this natural phenomenon of pollination.

To participate in the workshop no preliminary knowledge is necessary. Please write a short statement of motivation/intention (200 words) before the 20th of May and send it to: ulla.taipale at aalto.fi<mailto:ulla.taipale at aalto.fi>
A maximum of 15 workshop participants will be accepted, 10 places are reserved for students of Aalto University and 5 for other interested people.

The workshop is part of Aalto Biofilia –Base for Biological Arts program  and takes place in collaboration with Harakka Luontotalo of Helsinki Environmental Centre.
It is guided by Christina Stadlbauer (beekeeper, artist, chemist), Asta Ekman (chemist, responsable of the Harakka environmental laboratory) and Lina Kusaite (illustrator, artist).

The workshop is part of Melliferopolis –Honeybees in Urban Environments, a research project by Christina Stadlbauer at Aalto Biofilia, initiated in 2011.

Melliferopolis is supported by Biofilia at Aalto University, Kone Foundation, Finnish Cultural Foundation, Helsinki Environmental Centre and Luontotalo Harakka and Helsinki City Cultural Centre. Other collaborators can be found in the www.melliferopolis.net/collaborations<http://www.melliferopolis.net/collaborations>

More info at:
http://melliferopolis.net
www.biofilia.aalto.fi<http://www.biofilia.aalto.fi>

Ulla Taipale

Project Manager
Aalto BiofiliA -Base for Biological Arts

Aalto University,
School of Arts, Design and Architecture
ulla.taipale at aalto.fi<mailto:ulla.taipale at aalto.fi>
tel. +358 50595 77 24